Technician for Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program
LOCATION: Monroe County, Monroe, Michigan
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, July 31, 2017
STARTING DATE: Open
This is a full-time, salaried position, funded through the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDA&RD) Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, Western Lake Erie Basin Grant. Contingent on funding through September 30, 2018.
The Monroe Conservation District is a local units of state government, assisting landowners with the conservation and management of their natural resources. The Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) is an innovative, proactive program that helps farms of all sizes and all commodities voluntarily prevent or minimize agricultural pollution risks.
To assist with the implementation of MAEAP in Monroe County through on-farm technical assistance, education, conservation plan development to implement practices, and coordinate local, state and federal agency resources to help agricultural producers reduce identified environmental risks, and make progress toward MAEAP verification.
1. Deliver the Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) by:
a. Providing on-farm, one-on-one technical assistance, using farm specific risk assessments;
b. Conducting education and promotion of MAEAP and ground and surface water protection through the use of displays, newsletters, group presentations, demonstrations, public service announcements, news releases, radio programs and other means;
c. Developing conservation or emergency management plans for producers;
d. Assisting producers with the implementation of conservation practices;
e. Coordinating abandoned well closures;
f. Maintaining client confidentiality..
2. Maintains accurate and well-organized records.
3. Provides timely reports and updates to the appropriate Conservation District Board of Directors.
4. Completes and submits regular reports to the MDA&RD.
5. Adheres to grant agreement and guidelines.
6. Completes occasional travel for trainings and meetings.
7. Completes other essential activities as required by MDA&RD grant agreement.
8. Completes other duties as assigned.
1. Education: A minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture, natural resources management, animal, crop, environmental, agronomy, dairy, and/or soil science; or horticulture is required.
2. Experience: A minimum of two years of experience in natural resources or agriculture fieldwork and knowledge of and experience working with agricultural producers and practices is preferred. Survey and design of grassed waterways, water and sediment control basins also preferred.
a. Computer skills and experience in Windows Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. GIS experience is helpful.
b. Excellent organizational, management, written and verbal communication skills.
c. Exhibit social and interpersonal skills.
d. Public speaking.
e. Work cooperatively with other District and agency personnel.
f. Must be able to work efficiently outdoors in varying conditions and rough terrain; approximately 40% office-related activities and 60% field-related activities.
g. Maintain a valid driver's license and personal vehicle for work use.
h. Must be able to pass a federal background security check.
Salary: $19.00 - $21.00/hour, commensurate with education and experience.
Benefits: Worker's Compensation Insurance coverage
Unemployment Insurance coverage
Mileage reimbursement for business related use of personal vehicle.
Positions are supervised by the District Manager of the Monroe Conservation District.
Employment will require completion of a work agreement and annual performance evaluations.
Please Send Cover Letter and Resume to:
Monroe Conservation District
1137 South Telegraph Road
Monroe, Michigan 48161
by close of business Monday, July 31, 2017